Thursday, September 11, 2008

"We're going to see a big pile of rocks? Wow!"

Or as the rest of the world calls it
- STONEHENGE -

We did the typically touristy thing back in August and visited Stonehenge, which I have to say interested and even awed me far more than I'd anticipated. I won't get into the picture of the 3 kids squished in the back of the small rental car, or any of the other details that I know in a few months time will be entertaining to tell. But we were just glad to get out of the car and glad to get in to see the "rocks". The guard almost didn't let us because Sam was wearing an Arsenal jersey. These Brits are passionate about their football.

The countryside was lovely, the weather stayed dry and the kids enjoyed walking and listening and learning from their handheld tourist device.














They also had fun with some photos.



Stonehenge is England's most famous ancient (circa 3,000 - 1,000 BC) monument. There are many theories about the great circle of stones from the practical - that it was some kind of calender - to the extraterrestrial. We had fun coming up with our own theories also. My favorite was that Giants used to roam these hillsides and liked to play games. This is easy to picture after seeing the photos above.

To view the rest of the photos click on the slideshow on the right.