Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Driving in the UK

As much as I complain/comment about the driving issues here in this country, there are just as many (okay, not quite as many) times when I think, Wow!, stop and photograph this lane or question if there comes a time when you don't get a thrill when you go down it. Though I frequently get tired of the british guy (Tim) on my navigation device when he says "go right on the roundabout, third exit"--I love roundabouts (and I love Tim). They are the most efficient mode to keep the traffic moving and no, the new ones they put in in Leucadia do not qualify as roundabouts. I will struggle with all those stop lights back home. The lights here are also efficient. You get a yellow light on both ends of your light. Yellow before red for stopping and then yellow before green to get you going again. It's brilliant.

Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. Sometimes it takes a second for me to figure out if they are being sincere or making fun of me. I have learned that you say "sorry" here if you bump into someone or need to get by. Saying "excuse me" is considered rude. Almost like if you were saying it with an attitude.

So I am adjusting to the driving thing. Although I will drive around and around until there is an easy spot to pull into. We stopped to get petrol (gas) the other day and the kids were anxious for me to maneuver myself into certain challenging spots and I replied that I was going to wait patiently for just the right place, to which Sam replied, "this is going to be a loooong year". They all seem to be getting a kick out of me driving. I'd like to see them try it.

I do have to say that I enjoy watching other Americans go to get into the left side of the car to drive. I just don't enjoy it when I do it. Luckily my arms are usually full of "stuff" so I'm pretty smooth at acting like I was just putting things down on that side. Although Trey usually lets me know that I'm actually not that smooth.

Although I am adjusting to it I am not looking forward to taking my drivers test. It's crazy to be nervous about something that you've been doing for more years then I care to count right now. But I have heard horror stories about the experience. Luckily my US license is good for 12 months so I just have to complete it before then. I'll keep you updated...